Move to New Headquarters (Chidlom Office)
Seeing a need for new headquarters to accommodate business and personnel expansion, SCB decided to have its new headquarters constructed at the intersection of Chidlom and Phetchaburi roads. The new head office was designed by Duang, Thaweesakdi, Chaiya & Associates Ltd., and constructed by Pramual Phatnanakan Co., Ltd., while interior designs were carried out by Phatana Chang, Ltd. and Racha Ltd.
SCB’s new headquarters were located at No. 1060 Phetchaburi Road, Khwaeng Makkasan, Khet Ratchathewi, Bangkok. HRH Prince Bhidyalabh Barudhiyakara presided over the inauguration on 19 August 1971. Souvenirs for guests attending the function included brass paperweights with the initials “Tho Tho Pho” (the initials of SCB in Thai), brass plaques bearing the same initials in yellow, red and green enamel, and commemorative books.
About five years later, SCB’s business grew so rapidly that the 9-floor head office at Chidlom became crowded. The board of directors then resolved to have another 2 buildings constructed on an adjacent site – a 12-floor office building and a 10-floor car park building, of which the top 2 floors would contain office space. For architectural harmonization with the existing building, Duang, Thaweesakdi, Chaiya & Associates Ltd. were again appointed to design the buildings, while the construction was carried out by C.E.S Co., Ltd. and finished in 1981.
SCB premises were maintained so well that in 1982 the Talad Noi and Thanon Phetchaburi branches received the “ASA ’82 Award” in the best conserved building category from the Association of Siamese Architects (ASA) under Royal Patronage.